Sunday 1 December 2013

Paul Walker's tragic demise and life's most valuable lesson

In what was a horrible loss to humanity, one of my favourites, and one of the few Hollywood personalities who made driving a supercar look good, Paul Walker - all of 40 - died on Saturday, in a nightmarish accident.

Both Walker and his friend, who was also the driver, were immediately declared dead as their Porsche crashed against a light pole and a tree, instantly going up in flames.

Walker was loved around the world for his role in the Fast movie franchise as Brian O'Conner, a good LA cop-gone-bad-gone-good, his love of fast cars both for real and in reel.

In five of the six movies that he starred in the Fast franchise, Walker's character was in sublime control of his destiny, evading death time and again like a ferret, rising from the flames like a phoenix, stronger, 'faster' each time.

It is perhaps tragically ironic that Paul met his premature end in such horrific fashion. But his death serves a glaring reminder of why one must value life more than anything else. Speed can kill.

Three years ago on a wintry night, I came out alive and walking straight from a car crash of F&F proportions. Traumatised but not shaken, I jumped out of my car a wiser man. For better or for worse, the incident impacted me in a way I can never fully describe.

Dazed by a car blazing past me - the driver clearly under the influence - I hastily steered my vehicle to the extreme right. An impetuous lapse of judgement: to date, this has been my closest shave with death.

My car grinded against the divider uncontrollably; I could see the sparks emanate from the side like fireflies-on-steroids. All of this was filmic, straight out of the director's playbook; up till now I had only seen it in movies like F&F, now I witnessing it firsthand.

I was petrified to say the least, but I tried to regain my senses all in the moment, and fearing any bodily damage, swiftly covered my head in my arms.

The car kissed the pavement for over a hundred metres before grinding to a halt and eventually tipping over. It was a total wreck, gave many a sleepless night to my incredulous family.

As luck would have it, I had lowered both my windows while driving, which helped me get out without much effort. I escaped through one of the openings with so much as an abrasion to my side, but the incident did leave its mark.

From that day onwards, I fully began to comprehend how important life really is. I began to realize how important it is to love, to express gratitude, and to seek forgiveness.

As I recount the incident, I hope that even the bitterest of my enemies never finds himself in such a terrifying grey zone, between life and death.

Life's most valuable lesson: Value life.

No comments:

Post a Comment